|The Federal Distillery Building circa 1990, front view|
Built by “Babe” Cooper in 1854, the federal
distillery building still stands today on Highway 276 and is part of the
offices of Camp Rockbrook. The distillery was regulated by the federal
government and originally had an attached mill that served the community by
grinding grain for both food and liquor production through the decades.
|The Federal Distillery Building circa 1990, rear and side view|
Several different operators kept the
distillery running until production shut down during prohibition in the early
1920s. It was at this time that Henry and Nancy Carrier inherited the building
and used it for antique reproduction furniture manufacture. The mill wheel was
relocated and used to provide electricity for Camp Rockbrook.