|Industrial League bowling between teams
representing Ecusta and other businesses.
Bowling was always a popular recreational activity among
Ecusta employees. In the early days they
fielded at least six men’s teams and six women’s team. However, long before the Ecusta Paper
Corporation arrived in Transylvania County bowling was a favorite past time
among summer visitors and local young folks.
Brevard’s first bowling alley was located in the Aethelwold
building during the summer of 1906. The
original intention appeared to be to provide exercise opportunities for summer
visitors. The bowling alley was particularly popular on
rainy days and there were occasional comments in the newspaper that it was
popular among idlers.
In 1908 the Town of Brevard passed an ordinance making it
unlawful for any person under 16 years of age to enter the bowling alley or
pool rooms unless escorted by parents or adult in charge. The fine for those
disregarding this could run as high as $40.
In 1909 the bowling alley relocated to the People’s Bank
building on the west side of Broad St. beside Long’s Drug Store. Four years later the Town of Brevard updated
their ordinances to include a $25 per lane annual fee for bowling alleys.
In 1929 the Board of Aldermen passed an ordinance
prohibiting pool rooms and bowling alleys in the town of
Brevard. Later that same year another ordinance allowed for the operation of bowling alleys and R.S. Terry was issued a license for the City Bowling Alley.
W.H. Harris and B.W. Trantham opened H&T Recreation
Center on West Main in May 1930. The
center included four lanes with the latest equipment. By 1933 Trantham was operating a bowling
alley in West Asheville and the former H&T Recreation Center was serving as
a dance hall.
Memory Mull had a bowling alley on West Main Street in the
mid-to-late 1930s. Initially it was
located on the east side of Plummer’s Department Store until Mull constructed
the building on the west side of the alley and moved the bowling alley into it.
During the 1940s F.D. Kilpatrick owned the Centennial
Bowling Center on N. Caldwell Street in Brevard. After it closed in April 1949 anyone
interested in participating in a league had to travel 30 miles to Asheville.
|Although extensive damage was caused by a major fire on April 7, 1963,
just a year after Brevard Lanes opened, they re-opened by mid-August.
In 1953 T.T. Loftis opened the Brevard Bowling Center in the
former Centennial Bowling location. In
1962 Paul Launer purchased the business. He also bought and renovated a former car
dealership on N. Broad Street and then relocated and renamed the bowling alley. The new Brevard Bowling Lanes had twelve
alleys, automatic pinsetters, food service, a day time nursery, and ample
parking. It closed following a fire in
Since 1977 Brevard’s bowling alley has been located on the
Rosman Highway on the west side of town.
Initially known as Pisgah Lanes it has had various names through the
years and operates as Rockin’ Bowl today.
and information for this column are provided by the Rowell Bosse North Carolina
Room, Transylvania County Library. Visit the NC Room during regular library
hours (Monday-Friday) to learn more about our history and see additional
photographs. For more information, comments, or suggestions contact Marcy at