Transylvania County Library logo

When Brevard
College opened on September 17, 1934 Ralph James became the first Director of
Physical Education.  James was the coach
for football, basketball and baseball for the first two years.

A Brevard News article on the first
football game refers to the team as the “Brevard College Blue Devils.”  A later article calls them the “Blues”.  Throughout November they were called the
“Jamesmen”.  The first mention of
“Brevard College Tornadoes” was found in two November 29, 1934 news stories,
although no mention of the origin of the name was found.

1941 Brevard College baseball team.  Front, left to right:  George Gordon,

Myatt Johnson, Wiley Comer, Gil Coan, Kirby Kirkman, R.W, Norman.

Back, left to right:  Coach Beatty, Harold Stallcup, Kenneth Proctor, Robert Elliot,

Harry Bryan, Wayne Kernodle, Frank Wellons, Julian Reeves, Richard Gauldin,

June Keeter, Jimmie Scott, Clyde Cleetwood, Coach Bradley.

James’ teams were successful during their first season.  The football team finished with a record of
5-2-2 and shared the conference championship with Mars Hill College.  The basketball team was 6-7 and the baseball
team was 8-3.

The school’s first gymnasium
was completed in 1939. Students
designed and built much of the building which stood the test of time for over
20 years until a larger facility was needed.  It was used for athletic events, dances and
student body parties.  The gym was
located just beyond the end of the stone wall on East French Broad Street.

Brevard College girls’ flag football game, 1950s.

Women were
also required to participate in a physical education program.  Activities included archery, bowling,
calisthenics, tennis, track and tumbling. 
Intramural teams competed in basketball and softball.

women’s teams began in the mid-1940s with a basketball team that competed
against teams from Lees-McRae, Pfeiffer and Wingate, as well as industrial
league teams like Ecusta and Enka.

Boshamer gymnasium and
natatorium was constructed in 1962.  The
gym housed a basketball court with seating for approximately 1200 spectators,
training and class rooms, showers and offices. 
The natatorium opened on January 4, 1963 after a delay because the 75
foot long pool was three quarters of an inch short.  Although the swimming pool was closed and
filled in several years ago the gym remains in use today.

The football
program at Brevard College was suspended following the 1950 season.  A new era of Tornado football began in 2006.   


In 2009 the
cycling team won their first National Championship as a team.  They continue to add team and individual honors
in mountain and road biking, as well as cyclo-cross.  Cyclo-cross combines grass, mud and sand
courses with man-made obstacles.

Brevard College offers the sports of baseball, basketball, cheer and dance,
cross country, cycling, football, golf, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis,
track and field, and volleyball.

Beginning next week Picturing the Past will feature a series of articles on the history of Brevard College,  

Photographs and information
for this column are provided by the Rowell Bosse North Carolina Room,
Transylvania County Library.  Visit the
NC Room during regular library hours (Monday-Friday) to learn more about our
history and see additional photographs. 
For more information, comments or suggestions contact Marcy at
[email protected] or 828-884-3151 X242.

search our catalog

search our events

search our website

search our catalog

search our events

search our website

(828) 884-3151

212 S Gaston St, Brevard, NC 28712