Weilt’s One Price Cash Store was located between the Aethelwold and Crary

Hotels on East Main.  This cropped photo is from a larger photograph of a

celebration in honor of soldiers returning from the Great War, July 16, 1919.

and Sarah Weilt moved their family to Brevard from Altoona, Pennsylvania in
1901. Weilt was a merchant who dealt
mainly in clothing.  His business also carried
home goods and even groceries for short time. 
His main store was in a two-story wood frame building across from the
courthouse on East Main Street, known as Weilt’s One Price Cash Store. 

business model of a consistent price for all customers and only dealing in cash
was novel at the time.  He believed in
providing the lowest price possible to all, with no haggling.  He also only sold for cash.  At the time most merchants took trade, such
as farm produce, for goods.

partnership with J.W. McMinn and Thomas Shipman, Weilt constructed the three
story Auditorium Building on West Main Street in 1911.  This building is the home of Highland Books
and Mayberry’s today.  The three also
collaborated in building several cottages on West Main Street. 

In 1914
Weilt opened a second clothing store in a two story brick building he had
constructed on West Main directly across from the Auditorium Building.  His Gent’s Furnishing Store continued to
operate in the original location across from the courthouse and was managed by
his son, Walter.  Weilt managed the new
Ladies’ Furnishing Store on West Main Street.

business ventures included a brief partnership with W.P. Williams in a
furniture store located in the Fraternity Building on South Broad Street and a
long-time partnership with J.W. McMinn and J.M. Allison in the Farmers Supply Company.

In addition,
Weilt served as a town alderman from 1905-1907. 
He was also on the Board of Directors for People’s Bank and Brevard

The Weilt family lived in this home on Oaklawn Avenue.  Located near the

intersection of Oaklawn, Carver and Morgan streets, the house was torn down

about 10 years ago.

Weilt suffered a stroke on January 27, 1920 and died on February 7, 1920.  He is buried at Oak Grove Cemetery in
Brevard.  The Weilt family sold all
business holdings within a few months of William Weilt’s death.

original store on East Main was torn down in 1924 and replaced by a brick
building that was the long-time home to Whitey York’s A&P.  Platt Architecture is on the second floor of his
West Main Street building that continued to be referred to as the Weilt
Building for many years.

and information for this column are provided by the Rowell Bosse North Carolina
Room, Transylvania County Library. Visit the NC Room during regular library
hours (Monday-Friday) to learn more about our history and see additional
photographs. For more information, comments, or suggestions contact Marcy at [email protected]
or 828-884-1820.

search our catalog

search our events

search our website

search our catalog

search our events

search our website

(828) 884-3151

212 S Gaston St, Brevard, NC 28712