Daughters of the Confederacy or U.D.C. is a patriotic organization of women
descended from those who served for the Confederacy during the U.S. Civil War. Founded in Nashville, Tennessee in 1894 there
were about 100,000 members in chapters throughout the southeast at its peak around
the time of World War I.
Transylvania Chapter was chartered on June 7, 1911 with 25 members. Miss Annie Jean Gash was the first president. Their purpose was to aid Transylvania’s
Confederate Veterans. They attended
reunions, secured and presented Crosses of Honor, attended funeral services,
purchased metal markers for graves, and obtained government headstones.
|Postcard of Brevard’s Transylvania Confederate Memorial Library
operated by the Transylvania Chapter of the U.D.C.
In July 1912
the U.D.C. rented a room on the second floor of the Fraternity Building on
South Broad St. to serve as a library.
The collection consisted of 300 books willed to the Town of Brevard by
Lowndes Hume, son of Confederate Veteran Robert W. Hume. In November they purchased the 600 square
foot bungalow beside the courthouse and relocated.
The library was
originally open three afternoons a week.
Membership was $1.00 annually and books were rented for 5₵ each for one
week. The U.D.C. operated the library
for over 30 years until 1944 when it became a public library supported by town,
county, and state funding.
|U.D.C. Library sign made by Mr. Avery Case in 1932 is displayed in the
Local History Room at the Transylvania County Library.
In 1918 the
Transylvania Chapter of the U.D.C. organized a Red Cross Unit to make hospital
garments for soldiers. During WWI the
Home Service Committee of the Red Cross Unit provided assistance to needy
families of soldiers. They had office
hours twice a week at the U.D.C. Library.
U.D.C. chapter filled another need of the town in 1918 by providing rest rooms
for women visiting or shopping in downtown Brevard. A state law required the service and a
Superior Court judge ruled that it would be enforced. Space was provided by an addition to the
library. The County Commissioners paid
for installation of plumbing and gave $50 annually for maintenance. The Town of Brevard agreed to supply the
|The U.D.C. presented, “The Girl Who Dared”,
a musical comedy on August 26, 1915 as a
In addition to
providing a lavatory the rooms offered a place for women to relax while in
town. There was also a kitchenette to prepare refreshments for fund raisers and
entertainments. One popular means of
raising funds for U.D.C. activities and projects was to hold productions. Admission ranged from 25₵ for children to 60₵
for reserved seating.
In a brief
history of the Transylvania Chapter written by Mrs. J. M. Allison she stated
that the organization acted as a local social agency but was not very active on
the state level. The Transylvania
Chapter had 60-70 members in the early years but by 1950 it had dropped to just
information for this column are provided by the Rowell Bosse North Carolina
Room, Transylvania County Library. Visit
the NC Room during regular library hours (Monday-Friday) to learn more about
our history and see additional photographs.
For more information, comments or suggestions contact Marcy at [email protected] transylvaniacounty.org or