In May 1921
it was announced that Red Bus Line would operate between Brevard,
Hendersonville, and Asheville. They
offered four trips daily making it possible for businessmen to leave Brevard in
the morning, conduct business in Hendersonville or Asheville and return that
evening. It also meant tourists who
arrived in Hendersonville later in the day could come directly to Brevard
without spending the night in Hendersonville.
bus left Brevard at 7:30 am, arriving in Hendersonville at 9:00 and Asheville
at 10:30. The last trip of the day left
Hendersonville at 7:30 pm and arrived in Brevard at 9:00 pm. They also offered daily sight-seeing tours to
Chimney Rock in Henderson County.
|WWII draftees waiting to board a bus.|
A June 4,
1920 newspaper editorial indicated that local leaders were unhappy with the
passenger service that Southern Railway was providing at the time and
encouraged readers to use the new bus service.
It stated, “The time has come when the steam railroads have not the
monopoly of passenger transportation, and it is well that the management of the
Southern Railway realize that they have competitors.” However bus service in the first few years was
somewhat irregular, often only operating during the summer tourist season.
In 1926 a new
Union Bus terminal opened in the Kilpatrick Building on West Main St. The building included an office, separate
waiting rooms for ladies and gentlemen, and enough space to drive the bus
inside in inclement weather. Busses to
both Hendersonville and Greenville, as well as local taxis used the facility.
|A bus waits for passengers on Broad St. beside the McMinn Building.|
(Bunyon) McGaha owned the first bus line between Greenville and Brevard. In 1926 the Hudson Touring Car bus line
operated by McGaha and McCrary ran two busses between Brevard and Greenville
daily. A bus would leave from each point
at 9:00 am and then make the return trip at 4:00 pm.
station operated out of the back of Macfie Drug Store in the McMinn Building on
the corner of Main and Broad streets for many years from the 1940s.
1948 a new Union Bus Station opened at 230 North Caldwell Street. The new building was constructed by R.P. Kilpatrick.
The 1875 square foot building included a
ticket booth, waiting rooms, concession stand, baggage rooms, rest rooms, and a
taxi stand. The business was owned by
John Ford and operated by Ashe Macfie and Ralph Morris. Ralph Smith was the ticket taker. Mr. and Mrs. Robert Hunter operated the
|The sign for Safety Cab and the bus Station confirms their location on
West Jordan St. in the back of the building facing Broad St.
station closed in 1958, however long-time local residents remember a later bus
stop being located on West Jordan St.
and information for this column are provided by the Rowell Bosse North Carolina
Room, Transylvania County Library. Visit
the NC Room during regular library hours (Monday-Friday) to learn more about
our history and see additional photographs.
For more information, comments or suggestions contact Marcy at [email protected] or 828-884-1820.