Transylvania County Library logo

1888, Thomas and Wait Gash sold 21.3 acres from the estate of their parents,
Leander Sams and Margaret Avery Gash, to Mrs. Reba W. Boardman for $1500.  The property was located east of St. Philip’s
Episcopal Church which had been constructed a few years earlier.  It extended to present day Wilson Dr. on the
south, bordered the road from Brevard to Wilson’s Bridge on the east and present
day Maple St. to the west.

The Boardman House.

Mr. Boardman
was a prominent engineer from Macon, Georgia. 
The Boardmans built a large home that was considered the most attractive
home in Brevard.  In 1897, the granite
gateposts at the entrance were erected by stonecutter, Charles Kilpatrick.  The Boardmans spent considerable time abroad,
wintering in Europe and later living there permanently. 

1912 they sold the property.  Newspaper
accounts of the sale list R.G. and J.B. Stone as the purchasers of the property
for $18,000.  However, the deed is to
Fannie P. Stone, younger sister of Richard and Jefferson Stone, for $15,500. 

Stone brothers planned to use the stately home as a men’s recreational club surrounded
by an expansive lawn area for outdoor amusement, including tennis.  The Club House was to be equipped with pool
tables, bowling alleys, shower baths and rooms for lounging, reading and

four-and-one-half acre lake would be stocked with game fish, have bathing
piers, boat houses and boats.  A dance
pavilion near the lake was to have a stage for theatricals, vaudeville shows
and public speaking.

September 6, 1912 article describing plans for the property stated, “Almost ten
acres will be turned into a park, and walks and driveways will be built.  Benches will be placed at convenient places
throughout the park and along the driveway around the lake, where the tired
tourist may sit in the moonlight with his (or some other fellow’s) best girl
and thoroughly enjoy the mountain scenery and the fresh breezes from the lake.”

additional property was to be divided into lots for sale.  Property owners may have been granted Club

on the property, including clearing the bed for the proposed lake and drives
through the grounds was well underway by November 1912.  The intention was to be ready by the
following year. 

families of Richard and Jefferson Stone were both living in the Boardman House
when it was totally destroyed by fire on February 21, 1913.  This disaster appears to have ended the
Stone’s plans for the Boardman Heights Club.

entire property plus several additional tracts were sold to Joseph Silversteen
in October 1913 for $10 and “other good and valuable considerations.”  The Sylvan Valley News reported that Silversteen
bought “about thirty acres of the best land to be found in the town. The purchase
price was about $15,000.  The new owner
has not announced what disposition he will make of the property, but doubtless
it will be improved in a short time.”  Silversteen
soon constructed his family’s new home, Silvermont, on the property. 

and information for this column are provided by the Rowell Bosse North Carolina
Room, Transylvania County Library. Visit the NC Room during regular library
hours (Monday-Friday) to learn more about our history and see additional
photographs. For more information, comments, or suggestions contact Marcy at [email protected]
or 828-884-1820.

search our catalog

search our events

search our website

search our catalog

search our events

search our website

(828) 884-3151

212 S Gaston St, Brevard, NC 28712