What to Read – Kids!
Access thousands of titles for free! eBooks, eAudiobooks, & streaming video. For youth of all ages – includes narrated read-alongs, picture books, & chapter books. Three different services give you access to more titles:
Batty for Books Themed Kits for 3-6 Year-Olds
Our collection of themed book kits available for check out. Lots of themes to choose from. Great for busy families, visiting grandchildren, and teachers, too. Most are designed for Preschool – K, but we also have Baby & Toddler bags. Click here for more information!
Frequently Requested Lists
- Battle of the Books – Elementary– Elementary list for North Carolina 2018-2019. Also available on the NC Digital Library.
- CD inside Book (Easy Books & some non-fiction) – These books come with an audio CD located inside the book. Read and listen.
- Family Read-Alouds – These books are great read-alouds for families to enjoy together. They are also great books for young children who are reading well above their age level to read on their own.
- Juvenile High Interest Low Level Books – High interest/low level books for reluctant readers and children who are reading below grade level.
- Caldecott Medal Winners – The Caldecott Medal was named in honor of nineteenth-century English illustrator Randolph Caldecott. It is awarded annually to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
- Newbery Medal Winners – The Newbery Medal was named for eighteenth-century British bookseller John Newbery. It is awarded annually to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
- Coretta Scott King Award Winners – The Coretta Scott King Book Awards are given annually to outstanding African American authors and illustrators of books for children and young adults that demonstrate an appreciation of African American culture and universal human values.
- Pure Belpré Award Winners – The Pura Belpré Award is presented to a Latino/Latina writer and illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth.
- 2019 Youth Media Awards – Announcement by The American Library Association (ALA) of the 2019 Youth Media Award winners and honorees. Awards are given to the top books, audiobooks, and more for children and young adults.
More Resources to Help You Find the Right Book
NoveList Plus – Book recommendations for all ages. Select your age group from the provided choices: 0-8, 9-12, Teen, and Adult.
Kidsreads – Great site to help you find cool and new books, or recommendations for good books you might like.
Juvenile Series & Sequels – Not sure which book comes next in a series? You can check the correct order of any Juvenile or YA series here.
Kidlitosphere Central – Society of Bloggers in Children’s and Young Adult Literature. Features the Cybil Awards and more.
Reading Tween: Magical Reviews by Kids – This is a great blog that reviews new fantasy books for the tween-age. The reviews are written by kids and include their own rating system and helpful tags.