The original King Mill was built by Jonathan King around 1840 on King Creek north of Brevard. It was used to grind wheat and corn. When the old mill was beyond repair Jonathan’s son, Samuel Barnett King, built a new mill across the creek. The new mill powered the production of fine furniture and lumber for home building and other uses.
James Columbus King, son of Samuel, operated the mill his whole life. In poor health, James King died on July 18, 1916—the same day flood waters destroyed the mill. King never knew that his life work had been washed down the small stream turned raging river named for his family.